Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A New Theocracy

As I ponder this election and the "religious" furor associated with it, a few questions have come to mind.
1. How important is it for a candidate's stated theology to agree with mine?
2. Does their theology have a great impact on their domestic or foreign policy decisions?
3. Should I vote for the candidate with the "better" (by that I mean, like mine!) theology or should I vote for the candidate who is the better leader, regardless of whether they agree with my theology or even have a coherent one?
My take on these questions. I think it's important for me to have a grasp on a candidate's theology, but they don't have to be in my "camp" or even close to it. I DO think that a candidate's theology and cosmology DOES have great affect on their domestic an foreign policy. I think it has to! It has with GW Bush (world-wide hegemony), Clinton (private actions are not as important as public actions), Reagan (compartmentalized and pragmatic over idealistic), Carter (human rights are global, not local). Therefore, we should vote for a candidate who has a theology/cosmology that is good for our nation and for the world (not a triumphalistic one, not a compartmentalized one, not an overly idealistic one).
I think a candidate should have a vibrant personal faith that guides and directs them, but they should also be open to hearing other points of view and to see their leadership as a servanthood, rather than an empire-building exercise. They should NOT be people who make public policy based on a "word from the Lord." That scares me to no end!!
In the end, I want a leader who leads based upon what is good for the world and for our nation and is humble enough to listen carefully to people who disagree, but can and will make the tough calls. Leadership is not about popularity, but if you don't have followers ... you aren't a leader. I pray that our next president is a servant leader who seeks to make this world a more verdant, just and healthy place for humanity.

No comments: