Thursday, February 12, 2009


harbarger theory: nobody but babies like to be changed ... and even babies usually cry the whole dang time!

I'm currently at a national conference for preacher-types and have heard some amazing people share from their heart ... Brian McLaren, Rob Bell, Bill Hybels, among others. I am blessed to be attending this and rooming with one of my best and longest tenured friends, Schuyler. It's a wonderful thing. Schuyler and I went to seminary together and have stayed close ever since.

What's wonderful is the sharing of a wonderful time like this with powerful messages, inspiring speakers and a whole raft of great resources with a deep friend from whom very little if anything is hidden. We can agree. We can disagree. We can even argue. But, in the end, we love each other like what brothers ought to be. Thanks be to God.

But, I find myself challenged and, if I rise to the challenges, changed. And, although the change (to follow the above metaphor) will rid me of the poopy and messiness of my past. Somehow, I am loathe to do this. Maybe it's the devil I know instead of the devil I don't. Not sure. But I loathe change.

But, as Bill Bryson made so very clear in his wonderful book "A Short History Of Just About Everything", we, who are organic, either change ... or die. So, change is a part of life, isn't it? I need to change and be a better pastor ... a better leader ... a better husband ... a better father ... a better son ... a better Christian ... a better man.

So, begins my next step into change. Man, what is that stink, anyway? Oh yea, it's the stuff that needs to be gotten rid of in the change!! But, I'll still cry all the way through it, I suspect. What a big baby!!!

harbarger theory: nobody but babies like to be changed ... and even babies usually cry the whole dang time!

4 comments:

paul said...

bad timing in reading this post. :)

Joel said...

oh??? why????

Katie said...

Next time we get together you are going to have to show me how I can start following blogs myself. This is apparently just too complicated for me to figure out on my own :-/

Unknown said...

Aww, very inspiring!
May the Lord be with you and guide you as you make this "stinky" change. Ha. Seriously, change can bring you closer to Christ...and that's always exciting. I know He'll bless your endeavors.
I appreciate the honesty in your posts.