Wednesday, March 25, 2009

harbarger theory: faith is easier sung than done

harbarger theory: faith is easier sung than done



Some accuse praise music as being 7-11 songs. You know ... the same 7 words sung 11 times. And some are. Some find this vacuous and others find this to be a modern version of the chant that allows the singer to be transported into the presence of God. I can agree both ways. But some old hymns are just as vacuous and just as transporting, aren't they?



It's not about the music STYLE, as much as it is about the singer's perspective, the quality of the lyric, the ability of the music leader and the distractions or lack-thereof.



As for me, I like powerful modern worship music. As time goes on, I find I like the more modern stuff better than the 80's and early 90's stuff, but some of that has power as well.



However, I agree with Brian McLaren that we need less "I love Jesus" music and more "I serve the world" music. Not only should it transport me into the presence of God, but the music should also kick me out the door into serving the world.



All that being said, it's so much easier to sing about loving God and even about loving my neighbor (near, far and really, really far) than it is putting that into action in my everyday life. But, that's the rub, isn't it? I sing about it. I read the Word about it. I hear (and preach) sermons about it. And then ... I need to DO something about it.



Yep, that's my theory.



harbarger theory: faith is easier sung than done


BTW: this excellent cartoon is the wonderful work of Jon Birch, a Brit who creates a brilliant cartoon blog at The Further Adventures Of ASBO Jesus. Check it out!

2 comments:

paul said...

big amen

Unknown said...

Ah nuts! Another one I agree with! :)
Very good post!