Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Holy Tuesday

harbarger theory: sometimes we ARE called to the hard stuff.


The gospel reading for today is John 12:20-36. You can find it here. Jesus is offering a powerful teaching about suffering and destiny. In it, he says, ""Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!"


It reminds me of that "Name it and claim it" garbage that is part and parcel of the Prosperity Gospel heresy. There is a strain of thought in the church that if we are faithful, then God will give us an easier time. What a load of hooey! If JESUS didn't get an easier time, then why should I? Why should you?


Nope. Here's the truth. We are faithful because we love God. We do what is needed ... because it's needed. It's not about me. It's not about you. It's about God. It's about my neighbor (both next door and across the globe). It's about having a servant's heart. It's about being like Jesus. It's about serving; about loving; about being selfless; about being like Jesus.


My friends, let's be willing servants!!! Let the world know that Christ changes us!!!


harbarger theory: sometimes we ARE called to the hard stuff.

No comments: