Thursday, April 9, 2009

Maundy Thursday

harbarger theory: ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!

Today is Maundy Thursday, the day where we celebrate the very FIRST communion. The word Maundy comes from the Latin "mandatum", the first word of the phrase "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos" ("A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you"), the statement by Jesus in the Gospel of John (13:34) by which Jesus explained to the Apostles the significance of his action of washing their feet.


As a pastor, I LOVE serving communion, The Lord's Supper, Eucharist, what-have-you. It is a truly holy time. I remember a story where Martin Luther, while in the midst of his conflicts with the Church as a monk, was serving the Mass and while holding the elements, he had such a conflict because of his great unworthiness that he put the elements back down and ran out of the church because he was unworthy to even hold the elements of the communion. I've been there. Well, I've never actually run out of the church, but I have felt, oh, so unworthy.


But, that's the issue. It's not about my worthiness as a pastor or as a person. It's not about what I FEEL like doing. As a pastor, I serve the sacraments. It's part of my role in the Kingdom of God. As a person, sometimes I just gotta do what I gotta do. I don't have to enjoy it. I don't have to like it. Sometimes, I just have to do it. End of story.


It's part of being a grown up. Sometimes I just have to put on my adult underpants and do the thing. You know what I mean?


Jesus didn't want to die the way he did. But, he did what he had to do.


Lord help me to be faithful, even when I don't want to do it!!!


harbarger theory: ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!

2 comments:

APM2005 said...

We all have to do things we just have to do. However, we choose the path we walk on, therefore making us responsible. Making the things we "have" to do meaningful and something we want to do. You want to help other people. You cherish sharing the sacraments. You thrive on waking at 5am to do a hospital visit. You might not want to do them, but you enjoy them. Otherwise you would have gotten a 9-5 with your work always staying at the office.

Love ya, Pops

Joel said...

You are absolutely right! Great insights!