Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Whitewater Rafting

harbarger theory: leadership is like guiding a whitewater raft



I LOVE whitewater rafting. I've been down the New River a whole bunch of times, the Gauley a couple times and a few other rivers, too. I love it. I love it. Did I mention that I love whitewater rafting? I really do!!


As I have pondered leadership, I see many connections between navigating whitewater and leading (especially the church).


You see, a whitewater raft guide's job is to balance the demands of being safe and having fun. It is finding that sweet spot where you are able to experience the flash and excitement of riding that line where you are experiencing the heart of the rapid while not getting yourself, your raft and those on your raft into too much danger. Some danger, but not too much danger.


Most raft guides work on rivers that change water levels daily (maybe during the same day), so they hit different rapids at different water heights. And the techniques that they use to guide the raft differ for different rapids. Some are so gentle that the guide can simply let the paddlers take the raft where it wants to go. Other times, the guide has the paddlers stop paddling so s/he can do all the work and, most of the time, it's a balance between these where the guide expects the paddlers to offer propulsion and some steering (with direction) while the guide uses her/his paddle as a rudder to guide the boat. It's a complex mix of brute force, river reading, artistry, innate knowledge of river dynamics and seat of the pants decision-making.


I've been blessed. I've only had one incompetent guide and another who was fine until he got stoned at lunch and then didn't care the rest of the day.


Leadership is like this. We study; we train; we think; we act; we "read the river" as we look for trends that are coming up; we think outside the box; we lead alone; we let the church do it's thing; and we do a mix of both. To lead a church is a mix of force of will, reading the reality around us, artistry, innate knowledge of what's good for the church and seat of the pants decision making. All of it is needed. Sometimes all at the same time.


I love whitewater rafting. I love leading the church. It's all a rush. It's all exciting. It's all lots and lots of work! Woo hoo!!!!

harbarger theory: leadership is like guiding a whitewater raft

2 comments:

APM2005 said...

Leadership is like guiding a raft. However, I've stumbled onto a new kind of leadership. Freshman boys. Pops, you've had me and my early puberty and insane competitiveness already, so bear with me. How do you deal with a kid with a lot of talent and the fire you desire in your players that flips you off behind your back? Anyone, anyone? Especially when you're the assistant non paid freshman coach?! Well, you scream at him, tell him he's on two strikes and baseball is about three and if he thinks he's man enough to motherf' you then lets go at it. Then, you don't quit on him and you ride him till he becomes a stud. Which he has. Knowing when you have a gem that needs to be buffed with a weedeater and not brushed off. I'm learning how to deal with the guys that have the balls (sorry, needed to use it) but don't know how to express themselves. Baseball is not an emotional sport; basketball very much so, football hit someone. Ok...so I digressed. Either way, I hear you Old Man and am thankful for you dealing with kids your whole life to lead me to coaching, which I MOTHERF' LOVE!

Joel said...

Ya know, you aren't a leader if nobody is following ... you're just taking a walk by yourself. Certainly, you have to gain the respect of the people you are trying to lead. Although, I would not have gained that respect in just the way you did, I would have certainly called the young man to account and then "not given up on him." So many people (especially young people) have been given up on so much that they dismiss leaders before they give them a chance because it's less pain to NEVER give them a chance than to be disappointed ... again. So, way to go, son. Way to go!!